With so many iPhone photo apps available, how do you know which ones to choose? To help you decide, we’ve compiled a list of the 10 best photography apps to improve your iPhone photography. In this article you’ll discover the best iPhone photo apps for you.
iPhone Photo Apps: Which Ones Do You Need?
There are many different types of photo app available on the App Store. But there are only three types that you’re likely to need on a regular basis:
- Photo editing app
- Camera app
- Photo sharing app
While the iPhone’s native camera app is fantastic, sometimes it doesn’t give you enough manual control. For example, you can’t adjust shutter speed or ISO. If you want DSLR-like control over the iPhone camera, you can download a third-party camera app.
Once you’ve shot and edited some amazing photos, you’ll probably want to share them with others. A photo-sharing app lets you showcase your photos to family, friends, and even strangers across the globe.
Read on to discover the 10 best photo editing, camera and photo sharing apps for iPhone.
Powerful photo editing app with a huge range of tools:
- Wide range of professional editing tools, yet very easy to use
- Exposure, color and sharpness adjustments
- Crop, rotate, straighten and perspective correction
- Powerful curves tool
- Selective adjustments, brushes and healing tool
- Black & white and vintage filters
- Portrait enhancement, vignette, HDR and lens blur
- Double exposure, frames and text
- Price: Free
Snapseed is one of the best photo apps for iPhone. And it’s completely free to download.
Free photo apps are often sub-standard. But Snapseed is a high quality photo app with professional editing tools. If you only download one photography app, make it Snapseed.
This powerful photo editor takes care of almost all your image editing needs. It’s great for everyday photo editing, including exposure, color, cropping and sharpening.
But it also has tools for advanced photo editing. These include curves, brushes and selective editing. And the healing tool lets you remove unwanted objects from your photos.
Snapseed has a collection of preset “looks” and filters. These provide a quick way to change the look and feel of your photos. You can convert photos to black and white with filters. Or enhance the colors and apply grungy or vintage looks.
The portrait tools are fantastic for smoothing skin and brightening eyes. It even has a head pose tool which adjusts the angle of your subject’s head in portrait photos.
If you’re editing a batch of similar photos, use the “last edits” option. This applies the same edits to each new photo that you open.
Snapseed is an amazing photo app for iPhone photographers. And it’s suitable for beginners and advanced users. Once you start using Snapseed, it’s likely to become your go-to photo editing app.
Stylish editing app with built-in camera and photo sharing community:
- Beautiful one-tap filter presets that mimic the look of classic film
- Adjustable filter strength
- Extra presets available as in-app purchases
- Editing tools for cropping, straightening, exposure, color and sharpness
- Built-in camera with manual controls
- Integrated photo sharing platform
- Price: Free with in-app purchases
The VSCO app is free to download. It includes a sample pack of filters, and more are available as in-app purchases.
The app also has a set of editing tools for fine-tuning your image. These include color, exposure and sharpness adjustments. You can also crop, straighten and add vignettes.
But VSCO isn’t only an editing app. It also has a built-in camera with manual controls. These let you alter shutter speed, ISO and white balance.
The app also has an integrated photo sharing platform. Here you can publish your images and discover the work of other photographers.
Whether you want to shoot, edit or share your iPhone photos, you can do it all in VSCO.
VSCO is FREE to download from the App Store. It comes with a basic collection of filters to get you started, and more are available as in-app purchases.
Learn how to use VSCO with our step-by-step tutorials:
VSCO Tutorial: How To Shoot & Edit Incredible iPhone Photos
How To Use VSCO Filters To Create Beautiful iPhone Photos
Remove unwanted objects from your photos in seconds:
- An app dedicated to removing unwanted elements from your photos
- Remove blemishes, power lines and other distracting objects
- One-touch fixes make objects vanish immediately
- Innovative line removal tool
- Range of tools for selecting areas you want to erase
- Clone tool for duplicating or removing objects
- Price: $1.99
TouchRetouch is an app dedicated to removing unwanted objects from your iPhone photos. It only takes a few seconds to remove distracting objects that are spoiling your photo.
It’s easy to get rid of elements such as litter, street signs, or a photobombing person. Use your finger to paint over the object or select it with the lasso. Then watch it disappear.
The app works by analyzing the pixels around your selection. It then replaces the selected object with pixels from the surrounding area.
This app is great for removing imperfections in portrait photos. You can make pimples and skin blemishes vanish with a single tap.
The line removal tool is perfect for erasing power lines and telephone posts. You don’t even have to be precise. Mark a section of the line, and the app will remove the entire line.
Learn how to remove objects from your iPhone photos in our TouchRetouch tutorial.
4. Adobe Lightroom CC
Photo editor suitable for beginners and advanced photographers:
- Powerful editing tools within a simple user interface
- One-tap filter presets for quick edits
- Advanced editing tools including curves and color mix tools
- Selective editing, healing tool and perspective correction
- Get consistent looks by copying your favorite edits to entire albums of photos
- Adobe Creative Cloud syncs edits between iPhone, iPad, computer and web
- Built-in camera app which captures RAW format images
- Price: Free with in-app purchases
Adobe Lightroom CC offers a powerful, yet simple solution for editing your photos. The app also includes a camera that can capture images in high quality RAW format.
Lightroom is great for both beginners and advanced users. You can edit a photo in seconds with sliders and one-tap filters.
Or use the advanced editing tools for more precise fine-tuning of color and exposure. Advanced editing tools include curves, color mix and split tone.
The app is free to download, but you’ll need to pay to upgrade to the premium features. This unlocks the selective, healing and perspective tools within the app. It also lets you access your photos across all your devices via Adobe Creative Cloud.
If you use Lightroom to edit photos on your computer, this may become your favorite photo app for iPhone.
Adobe Lightroom CC can be downloaded for FREE on the App Store. Premium features are available as in-app purchases.
5. Afterlight 2
Full-featured photo editor with advanced tools and creative options:
- Exposure, color and sharpening adjustments
- Advanced tools such as curves, selective color, gradients and blend modes
- Dust and light leak overlays
- Double-exposure tool for seamless blending of images
- Add text and artwork using layers
- Free filter packs by well-known mobile photographers
- Price: $2.99
If you want to move beyond basic image editing, Afterlight 2 would be a great place to start. It offers a wide range of editing tools, as well as artistic options. Despite its comprehensive set of tools, it’s very easy to use.
For basic edits this app has the usual color, exposure, sharpness and crop tools. But it also offers advanced editing features like curves and selective color.
You can use filters and overlays to enhance the mood in your photos or add an artistic flair. Afterlight 2 comes with a basic set of filters, but you can download more filter collections for free.
The double-exposure tool lets you create unique combinations of photos. And you can add graphics to your images with the text and artwork tools.
Afterlight 2 is available for $2.99 on the App Store. It promises to never have any extra in-app purchases or subscriptions. And they even update the app with new free content every month.
7 Hidden iPhone Camera Features
As it turns out, the most important iPhone camera features are completely hidden from regular iPhone users. That's why we created this free video revealing 7 hidden iPhone camera features that every photographer should use. Click here to watch this video.
All-in-one photo editor with creative tools and masking feature:
- Selective control over exposure, color and details
- Masking tool for seamless blending of effects
- Crop, rotate, straighten and perspective correction
- Filters, two-tone gradients, light leaks and vignettes
- Black & white, paint and sketch effects
- Clone tool for removing unwanted objects
- Double-exposure, tilt-shift and photo montages
- Drawing tools, text, borders and frames
- Price: $3.99
Enlight is an all-in-one photo editing app that can do a little bit of everything. Whether you want to perform a simple edit or create an artistic masterpiece, you can do it all with Enlight.
This app has a great selection of traditional editing tools. These include crop, perspective and clarity, as well as exposure and color adjustments.
It has curves and split tone options for advanced fine-tuning. And the target tool lets you make selective adjustments.
Enlight has a wide range of customizable filters. You can convert to black and white, add an analog look, or apply duo color toning.
The mixer tool lets you create double-exposure images. And the healing tool removes unwanted objects from your pictures. It also has a tilt-shift tool for creating fake-miniature photos.
Artistic tools let you turn a photo into a sketch or drawing. You can also use brushes, design elements, text, borders and frames, And you can arrange your photos into a collage.
The mask tool is one of the most useful features in Enlight. It lets you apply any effect to only certain parts of your image. It’s great for blending different effects into your photos. Or use it to create a black and white image with a flash of color.
Add textures, grains and light leaks for unique creative edits:
- Grit, grain, grunge and vintage film textures
- Analog light leaks and beautiful gradients
- Layer several effects for unique blends
- Fine-tune images with editing tools and filters
- Use preset formulas to apply quick edits
- Create your own formulas and save them for later use
- Price: $1.99
Mextures is an incredible app for adding beautiful textures to your iPhone photos. It also includes other effects such as film grain, light leaks and gradients.
You can stack an unlimited number of effects to create a completely unique edit. Each layer is adjustable, so you can alter the opacity and blending mode to achieve the look you want.
If you’re new to Mextures, you can start by using the wide range of preset “formulas.” You can save and share your own formulas, and even import formulas from other Mextures users.
Mextures also has a set of standard editing tools and filters. Use these to fine-tune the exposure and color of the final image.
If you want to create beautiful unique edits, Mextures is the app for you. Use textures and more to add wonderful mood and visual interest to your iPhone photos.
Mextures is $1.99 on the App Store. Extra presets are available as in-app purchases.
Learn how to enhance your photos with textures in our step-by-step Mextures tutorial.
8. Camera+ 2
Camera app with manual controls and built-in editing suite:
- Camera app with shutter speed, ISO, white balance and manual focus controls
- Slow Shutter mode for shooting long exposure photos
- Portrait mode for creating shallow depth of field
- Macro mode for capturing close-up photos
- Option to shoot in RAW format
- Editing tools and one-tap filters
- Layers feature allows stacking of several filters
- Price: $2.99
Camera+ 2 is a powerful camera app with an integrated photo editing suite. The camera offers manual controls including shutter speed, ISO, white balance and focus.
Another great feature of Camera+ 2 is the ability to separate the focus and exposure points. This makes it easy to focus on one part of the image, but expose for a different part.
You can use a range of editing tools to improve exposure, color and clarity. Or make use of the preset filters to change the look and feel of your photo. The layers feature lets you stack several different filters for a unique look.
Learn how to shoot and edit stunning iPhone photos in our Camera+ app tutorial.
Powerful camera app with DSLR-like controls:
- Full-featured camera app with clean and simple user interface
- Easy to adjust shutter speed and ISO
- Advanced white balance setting
- On-screen histogram to help with exposure
- HDR and LowLight modes for tricky light conditions
- Option to shoot in RAW, TIF and HEIF formats
- Price: $5.99
ProCamera gives you incredible control over your camera settings. If you’re looking for a DSLR-like experience with your iPhone camera, ProCamera is the app for you.
The clean and simple interface makes it easy to adjust settings like ISO and shutter speed. And the on-screen histogram helps you get the perfect exposure in your shots.
The advanced white balance setting lets you fine-tune the color tint and temperature.
ProCamera has some handy settings for shooting in awkward light conditions. The anti-shake setting ensures you never get a blurry shot.
The LowLight modes help you take better photos in dark conditions. And HDR mode is perfect for creating better exposures in high-contrast scenes.
HDR and LowLight+ modes are only available as extra in-app purchases. But you can try them out before you buy to see if you like them.
As well as JPEG capture mode, you can also shoot in RAW, TIF and HEIF formats. Use these options for superior image quality and more creative control when editing.
ProCamera is $5.99 on the App Store. Extra shooting modes are available as in-app purchases.
Photo sharing app with editing tools and filters:
- Largest photo sharing platform with over 800 million users
- Share your photos and build an Instagram following
- Discover inspiring images from photographers all over the world
- Edit your photos right before sharing them
- Varied selection of color and black & white filters
- Editing tools for exposure, color, sharpness and more
- Direct messaging facility for private conversations
Instagram is the best photo app for iPhone photographers who want to share their pictures. It’s the ultimate blend of photography and community.
Within seconds you can share your images with millions of people. And by posting high quality photos, you’ll soon build a following of people who like your work.
Instagram is perfect for discovering inspiring photos from a huge range of genres. And it’s easy to connect with like-minded people through comments or private messages.
The Instagram app also has a good selection of editing tools. So you can enhance your photos right before you share them.
There’s a range of filters for changing the look and feel of your image. And editing tools let you exposure, color and sharpness.
You can also crop, rotate, straighten and correct perspective. And you can add a vignette or tilt-shift effect.
Check out these tutorials to get the most out of using Instagram:
11 Instagram Tricks For Beginner iPhone Photographers
Instagram Photo Editing: Create Stunning iPhone Images To Share
How To Become Instagram Famous In 3 Easy Steps