Do you struggle to take good iPhone photos of children? If so, you’re not alone! Child photography can be challenging as they move so quickly and often get camera-shy. But with a few simple techniques you can take magical iPhone photos of children that capture their true emotions and personality. In this short article you’ll discover ten quick and easy tips for improving your iPhone photos of children right now!
Photo by Jill Emmer
1. Use burst mode for the best chance of capturing a good photo of your moving subject. Simply hold down the shutter button to take a series of shots in quick succession, then choose the best shot from the sequence.
2. Work with the child’s schedule. If they’re tired or hungry, you’re unlikely to get any good shots. Be patient and wait for the right time to take photos.
3. Take candid portrait photos to capture true emotions in your subject. Posed shots don’t tend to work well when photographing children. For a more natural looking shot, capture them when they’re playing or involved in a fun activity.
4. Make them laugh. Children often become shy or awkward when they see your camera, so making them laugh will give you plenty of opportunities to capture true happiness and joy in your photos.
5. Capture the quieter moments too. You can get the most beautiful shots when your child is reading a book or taking a nap.
6. Use props and costumes to add a fun element to your iPhone photos. The children will love playing with these items too!
7. Shoot from a low angle to capture the world from the child’s perspective.
8. Add a sense of scale by photographing a small child standing next to a large tree, building, wall, etc.
9. Add an extra touch of magic in post-processing. Get creative and use apps like Superimpose X, Juxtaposer, Alien Sky and LensLight to add fun elements into your images.
10. Above all, have fun! If you’re having fun, your children will be having fun – and that’s what matters most.
Quick Tips Cheat Sheet
Click the image below to download this handy Quick Tips cheat sheet!
In-Depth Articles On Taking Amazing iPhone Photos Of Children
To learn more about how to take incredible photos of children with your iPhone, check out our in-depth tutorials and interviews where you’ll discover more great shooting and editing techniques, as well as plenty of inspirational photos!
9 Tips For Taking Magical iPhone Photos Of Children by Jill Emmer
14 Tips For Taking Incredible iPhone Photos Of Children by Paul Moore
Interview: How Elaine Taylor Takes Great iPhone Photos of Children
Good tips Kate! I do find it more difficult to snap shots of kids with the iPhone compared to an slr, these should help